Wednesday, November 12, 2014

“There are four unbroken rules when it comes to Thanksgiving: there must be turkey and dressing, cranberries, mashed potatoes, and pumpkin pie.” ~ John Hadamuscin

I had intended to post on this earlier, but here it is now - Cranberry, Walnut and Orange Pound Cake (Bread) using my freshly picked Cape Cod cranberries. While on the Cape, for the second year in a row, we followed the sign saying "Fresh Cranberries" down a little country lane. There we find a cart on the side of the road with 3 lb. bags of fresh cranberries, $6.00 a bag. There is a box with a slot in the top to place your money. I do love that the honor system is still alive and well in some corners of our crazy world.

Last year I made enough cranberry sauce to sink a ship. Something different this year, I decided. I scouted out bread recipes with cranberries, but settled on the one that is actually called a pound cake. I made alterations to the original recipe, so if you click on the blue link up above, note that I did a few things differently. First, I did not make the glaze to go on top. Most importantly though, instead of the teaspoon of orange zest as called for, I used 2 tablespoons. I can't imagine that you would really taste the orange with such a small amount. Also - I admit that I used clementine zest since I had a bowl full of clementines!

I do not have enough bread pans for the loaves that I wanted to make, so I used aluminum ones from the dollar store. They were quite shallow however, so the loaves look a little odd! I made six total, and put all but one in the freezer for future use - most importantly to bring to our Thanksgiving gathering in a few weeks!







Sweet batter; crunchy walnuts, tart cranberries and fragrant orange (clementine) - this is really, really delicious. I'm sure that another loaf or two will go missing before Thanksgiving. Thank goodness I made 6!



4 comments:

  1. Ohhh, these look absolutely wonderful! I do miss Thanksgiving being here in Australia. I'm so happy I can enjoy it from afar through your cooking and celebrations. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look delicious! I'm definitely going to give this a try during the holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, it does look so good! I loved reading about your cranberry stop again. Thanksgiving seems a little more authentic with fresh cranberries bought on location. I think I hear my oven calling now - anything to warm up this house on a 17 degree day!

    ReplyDelete