Saturday, August 31, 2013

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild & precious life?" ~ Mary Oliver


Please meet my dear friend Tierney. She is making a brave leap into uncharted territory, and is forging her own creative path full-time! I’ve known Tierney for many years, and have always believed she would do something wonderful with her creativity. Wanting in at the very beginning, I felt that this was the perfect time to interview Tierney: the Designer, the Maker and the Fiber Artist!

To begin her exciting new chapter, Tierney has a sweet project featured in Quilting Arts GIFTS Magazine, 2013-14 (on store shelves now through November)!



“A sweet appliqued motif and hand embroidery make a practical gift set extra special.”  - Quilting Arts GIFTS ™  / Holiday 2013-14

My Retiring Life: How did you come up with this project for the magazine?

Tierney: A long-time fan and hoarder collector of Q.A. GIFTS Magazine, I knew that my project needed to be useful, fairly quick to make, inexpensive and simple enough that a wide audience could make it with great results. I adore folk art for its cheeriness, so coming up with my “Friendship” design was easy and fun, plus I can’t resist cute handmade ways to store electronic devices and cords.

MRL: Now that the magazine is out, what other projects do you have lined up?

T: Designing “Friendship” was so enjoyable that I’m designing more wool felt applique projects and will soon have kits for sale in my Etsy shop. What a blast! I’ll also be part of an upcoming demo-day at a favorite local quilt shop where I’ll be meeting more kindred spirits and sharing some embroidery tips and tricks. 

                                          Soon-to-be released: “May Day” wool felt mug mat kit. 

MRL: Knowing you’re a dyer, would you tell us about your art quilts?

T: In 2005, I took a shibori dying workshop at Arrowmont. I’ve been dabbling with dye and silk ever since. Wanting to move away from commercial dyes, I’ve spent the past three years experimenting and scouring India Flint’s book, Eco-Dying. Now that I have a mountain of scribbled notes and naturally dyed silks, I’m anxious to put them to use in my art quilts. I’ve been quilting since 2005, and am always experimenting with materials and processes. Having an art quilt accepted in the 2007 juried show Quilts=Art=Quilts was a big confidence builder, and now I’m thrilled to have more time to explore and develop my own voice through my quilts. 

MRL: Will your art quilts be offered through your company, Silver Trumpet?

T: For now, Silver Trumpet is the outlet for my upcoming sewing patterns and kits, along with occasional small ready-made items. I’ll wait and see how my art quilts progress, but my hope is to see them primarily displayed in various quilt shows.

MRL: What is currently influencing and informing your work?

T: Classic children’s stories, Art Deco, paper cutting, early American quilts, flora and fauna outside my door, Nordic and Russian folk art, modern folk music like Mumford & Sons and the Wailin’ Jennys.

MRL: Any other goals you can tell us about?

T: I’d really love to get out and teach art workshops for kids and adults. I believe there’s a serious need to make art more available to the youth in our community. I’ve benefitted from many amazing workshops taught by renowned teachers, and want to share so much of what I’ve learned with folks here in my hometown. Workshops are a fun, relaxed way to connect with one another and to create - both of which are very important to me. Funny, I remember my mom telling me I should be a teacher when I grow up.

MRL: What do you like to do when you’re not in the Studio?

T: I’m anxiously awaiting Season 3 of Downton Abby and Call the Midwife, knitting, baking and avoiding weeding the garden. I love being outdoors and am always game for a campfire.


 I, for one, am looking forward to seeing how Tierney’s new chapter unfolds, and I hope you’ll join me in wishing her all the best! Knowing her as I do, I can promise that whatever she does, her heart will be at the center of it. Feel free to drop her a note on her blog, she’d love to hear from you:
                                                 http://www.silver-trumpet.blogspot.com/
            You can find Tierney’s Etsy shop here: http://www.etsy.com/shop/silvertrumpetstyle

7 comments:

  1. This was so much fun, T.! Thanks for a great photography session, too. I love the photos you took and felt very comfortable in your talented hands. Now, I'd better get into the studio to work on those kits. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was my pleasure! I can't wait to see what other creative ideas you come up with! The best is yet to be!

      Delete
  2. It is so encouraging to hear about Tierney and her path into full-time creative work! I loved reading your interview and seeing her beautiful appliqué work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda. You know first hand the excitement of having projects published. I am so happy for her - and for you! Tierney is on a wonderful path!

      Delete
  3. Fantastic work! Thank you for sharing this, sounds very interesting! I'll definitely have a look and browse Tierney's blog & shop!

    Congratulations to your friend and all the best for her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed! Tierney has been a full-time artist with a less than part-time schedule. I and thrilled that she is now able to devote her time to her passions!

      Delete
  4. I agree Clarice - this is just the beginning!

    ReplyDelete