Wednesday, January 8, 2014

"Every once in a while an idea comes along with the potential to truly make the world a better place." ~ Suspended Coffee



If you are a Face Book user, I am sure that you often see posts and re-posts from friends about various things from causes to purchases - to well - any number of things.  I often give them a quick once over and move on. Recently, a friend shared something that I actually opened and read from beginning to end.  I loved it, and have decided to share it here. 

Suspended Coffees. An odd name for a really very simple concept - pay it forward.
"Every once in a while an idea comes along with the potential to truly make the world a better place. Suspended Coffee is one of those ideas.

First, it’s simple. You walk into a coffee shop and instead of buying just one cup of coffee, you buy two, or more. You buy one for yourself and one for someone in need.

Second, it’s direct. You do not need to worry if your money is going to actually help someone or just to take care of a charity organization and it’s overhead and expenses. You also do not need to worry whether or not your recipient will use your gift to buy alcohol or drugs. You can directly control which food or beverage you would like to donate.

Third, it’s win-win. You not only support a person in need, you also support your local business and all its employees. Your money does not go to another state, country or continent. It stays right in the neighborhood where it was spent.

Lastly, it can be used for more than just coffee. You could buy a hot bowl of nourishing soup, a filling sandwich, water, fruit, bread, or a full meal. Suspended coffee’s simplicity makes it easy to duplicate with other food items."http://thesuspendedcoffees.wordpress.com/

I did check this out on snopes, and its origins are legit - besides, what's to lose if it's in your own back yard?  I also took the time to read the article that said that participating in the Suspended Coffee practice is "stupid".  It pretty much sounded to me like a bunch of excuses for why it wouldn't work.  It is really up to each individual, and each coffee shop owner, as to whether they choose to take part or not.

Me - I like the idea. I know that I would pay it forward each and every time I walked into a coffee shop, or restaurant, or some other venue and knew I could make someone's day better. Would there be individuals who might take advantage of it? Sure; but I have faith that the majority would not.

I intend to look for it - and suggest it - locally.


6 comments:

  1. I will,too! I so like that idea.
    Smiles, Dottie

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great idea, and I've forwarded this post to our local coffee power-house, Coffee Mania! Thanks for keeping it going, Super T.!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for forwarding it T. I was going to wait till my return!

      Delete
  3. I have seen this on FB and think it is such a great idea! You will find it in Oslo as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so nice to know that it is an international project!

      Delete