Wednesday, January 18, 2017

"Where Rosemary flourished, the woman ruled." ~ Unknown, but I'm loving it!


I am trying to remember if I have posted on my rosemary toffee before, and I just can't recall - so here it goes, even if it's again! (recipe below)

I love toffee - just love it. I started making it myself a few years ago, and after about the first year, I had the inspiration to add chopped rosemary to the recipe rather than nuts and chocolate. I adore rosemary, and the combination just sounded so good to me. I was not disappointed. Each year since, at Christmas (which is when I typically make toffee) I always do a batch or two with rosemary added.

This year, not being in our own home at Christmas, a lot of our usual holiday traditions were set aside till next year.


One of the wonderful things about being in Florida, is that people have rosemary bushes right in their yards - lots of them. I am fortunate to have a knitting friend who happily shares her rosemary with me whenever I ask. 

This past week I was using some for my daily cooking - added to chicken, fish, a light stew. With some left over, I decided that I would do my toffee! It certainly didn't matter that it wasn't Christmas!



I'm not quite sure why I didn't get pics of the final product broken into pieces, but it was delicious! Thanks Pat!

Tracy's Rosemary Toffee
  • 1 cup butter
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1/4 cup chopped, fresh rosemary (Or more!)
  • Sea salt to taste (optional)
Directions:

Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper, aluminum foil, or a silicone liner (I love mine). In a heavy 2-quart saucepan combine butter, sugar, vanilla, and salt. Cook over med-high heat, stirring constantly with a clean, dry wooden spoon till butter is melted. Continue cooking and stirring for approx. 7-10 min. till candy is a toasty color (be careful to not scorch or overcook). Quickly stir in the chopped rosemary, distributing as evenly as possible. Immediately pour candy onto the cookie sheet. It will begin to set up very quickly. If you want to add sea salt, do this before the top of the toffee hardens up. Let cool and break into pieces. Store in a tightly covered container in cool place or refrigerator. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Described and photographed so well, I can actually smell it cooking; guess I am going to be disappointed when I walk into my kitchen and find it isn't

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for a prized recipe. So generous! I'd love to have rosemary growing right outside my door!

    ReplyDelete