Wednesday, July 15, 2015

"To acquire the habit of reading is to construct for yourself a refuge from almost all the miseries of life.” ~ W. Somerset Maugham


Bruce and I live in a relatively large house. Far too large for two people! We have talked about down-sizing for some time now, and while we don't have a specific date in mind, we know that the time to do this is rapidly approaching. We have both begun to weed through things, and to get rid of those things that we know we simply don't want to box up and move. 

I have weeded out fabric; yarn I know I won't use; magazines; clothing, etc., and have found wonderful homes for it all.  This process has felt good - really good! Getting rid of books however - that's a different story. Most have some kind of memory attached to them. I either loved them, or didn't. There are definitely some I never got around to reading, and now they don't seem to interest me. Even the ones that no longer interest me are difficult to part with. I grew up in a household surrounded by books, and they have always been part of my composition. The whole process is a bit like saying goodbye to old friends! 

In my weeding out, I have certainly held on to favorites, and also to those ones that belonged to my grandparents. There are a few that I haven't opened yet, but know that I want to. The remainder? Well, some have gone to the library, and most will go to the Rt. 90 garage sale in a couple of weeks. It's a bit painful!

Parting is such sweet sorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment