Wednesday, July 8, 2015

“Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort." ~ Franklin D. Roosevelt


Many times over the years, I have shared with you my love of knitting, the joy that it brings to me, and my love for the individuals who are my knitting friends. Today, I am delighted to share with you one of those friends, who also happens to be a talented, oft published designer. Diane has had her patterns released in numerous publications, which she will tell you about below, but her most recent addition to the knitwear scene is a beauty that she self-published through Ravelry. Called The Side to Side Linen Top this is a wonderful example of Diane's creative and free-spirited style. 


"This loose fitting top is perfect for layering in the summer months. It is easy to knit and fun to wear over a tank or camisole. The pattern is worked side-to-side and can easily be adjusted to increase the length or width of the finished garment. A variety of yarns can be used to create a top that you will reach for time and time again."


                Please meet my friend, the talented fiber-wear designer Diane Moyer~

Interview with Designer Diane Moyer

When did you learn to knit?
I was very fortunate to have been taught to crochet and knit while in high school by my home economics teacher. Years later, I was able to thank her for the wonderful gift she gave me. I have knitted or crocheted ever since. I knitted right through college and even at most staff meetings during my 36-year career teaching in the elementary grades. My mother taught me to sew at a young age so I guess I've always been interested in creating my own style. As a child, I would play with my paper dolls for hours designing outfits for them. I only wish I'd had Barbie dolls to sew for, but they came along after my time.

Where do you get the inspiration for your designs?
Inspiration comes from everywhere. I love taking a detail or shape from a store-bought garment and translating it into a knit or crochet piece. This first self published design was inspired from a ready-to-wear blouse. My first afghan design came from the tile flooring in the bathroom of a hotel where my husband and I were vacationing. I am rarely without a notebook and pencil for sketching ideas. Look around you at the facade on a building, the stripe pattern on someone's top, or the pattern on the pillow in the furniture store; there's never an end to inspiration!

When were you first published?
I retired from teaching in 2002 and decided to reinvent myself into a second career. I had been changing patterns and doing my own thing for years, so I decided to try my hand at submitting a design. I had a designer friend who had encouraged me to do this for years. She had recently passed away and it seemed like a good way to honor her memory. (Thanks, Barbara - hope I've made you proud!)

My first design was a felted pinwheel purse made with Fun Fur in 100 Purses to Knit and Crochet in 2006. I was thrilled when the design was accepted. Since then I've had designs published in Great Garter Stitch, Freeform Style, and Grannies on the Go. I've also had designs in several magazines: Crochet!, Crochet 1-2-3, Knit 1-2-3, and Knitstyle. I did many designs for Caron Yarns and NaturallyCaron before the company was purchased by Spinrite. Currently I have been designing for Red Heart Yarns.

Why did you decide to self-publish?
I love simple shaped garments that are comfortable and fun to wear. Many of my ideas are not what the yarn companies or magazines need, so by self-publishing I can share some of my funkier ideas! In the future I hope to self-publish some designs that incorporate both crochet and knit techniques and maybe even some fabric. Ravelry is a wonderful resource and seems like a great site to present my first self-published design. The whole process has been a real learning experience and very exciting. I hope there will be more to come in the future.

To see a large selection of Diane's other designs, please visit her design page on Ravelry! 


The only thing that I can add (with enthusiasm) is that I have the good fortune to call this talented woman "friend"!

2 comments:

  1. Love the designs, especially the linen top and her shawls! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had the honor of knowing Diane for the last couple of years. She has been a very patient teacher. Have learned a lot from her. I enjoy her designs that I have worked both from her personally and from crochet 123. As a designer it's nice because she does give you many levels to choose from she does not work just for the advanced levels but she considers everybody. She is overall a very talented woman.

    ReplyDelete