Wednesday, October 8, 2014

" REMOVE NOT THE ANCIENT LAND-MARK WHICH THY FATHERS HAVE SET" (Proverbs 22:28)

Our final stop in Vermont, while still in the historic Kents Corner area, was to the Old West Church.
Beautiful, echoing - plans for The Old West Church were originated in 1823. Known then as the First Meeting House Society of Calais, the church underwent a number of additions, from stoves to the admonishment below(originally made of cedar fronds - I don't know if that is still the case), which is visible to all who enter.

" REMOVE NOT THE ANCIENT LAND-MARK WHICH THY FATHERS HAVE SET" (Proverbs 22:28)

Words for us all to live by I'd say!


Whenever I am in a place such as this, I love to run my hands along the wood and just imagine the history that has passed by. We had a long ride ahead of us, so we did not spend the time there that I know I will when I visit Alex and Hannah next.








Beautiful and echoing .......

3 comments:

  1. Well said, and beautifully photo documented. I'm looking forward to learning more about this building and it's history when you've visited again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very interesting building - would love to hear the stories of the wood... great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a pastor's daughter and always loved an empty church more than a full one. There's something peaceful about an empty church, no expectations, no demands, no living in a fishbowl for anyone, just you alone with your thoughts and feelings. It's nice. :-)

    ReplyDelete