Saturday, June 7, 2014

"Good news is rare these days, and every glittering ounce of it should be cherished and hoarded and worshipped and fondled like a priceless diamond." ~ Hunter S. Thompson


If you have been reading my blog since its beginning, you know that I have a thing about the ocean, and a thing about Cape Cod in particular. I vacationed there growing up; as a young adult; as a parent; and in recent years, as a retiree. Bruce and I have spent a week these past three Octobers in a lovely, simple cottage, right on the edge of Pamet Marsh. Heaven on earth - plain and simple. 

You may recall my dismay when we learned that our cottage would not be available for rent this coming fall. I'm not kidding when I say I cried. There is simply no way that we can afford this spot in-season, and we have become accustomed to, and love, going in the fall. I had done some cursory hunting for another spot, but my heart was not in it. While we were in Florida, I even e-mailed the owners, asking if they had reconsidered their decision to not rent past September. I received a very prompt, pleasant, but unsatisfactory "no". The reason given was completely understandable, but that doesn't mean I had to like it.

Happiness! I received another e-mail from the owners just a few days ago, and yes, they have decided to rent in October once again - our rental contract is in the mail! Guess what - I cried again! I realize that the day may come when they will sell the cottage (it has been for sale for some time now), or they will no longer rent it, or the rent will be out of our reach (there has been a steady increase). Until that time. I will continue to dream of our next visit, and buy lottery tickets. Hey, you never know!

7 comments:

  1. Thanks Clarice! The Cape, and this spot in particular is just so relaxing and beautiful. I may only get one week a year, but I savor every minute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such very good news! Keep on hoping and wishing for more visits in years to come... Because "you never know" and because it worked out this time :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so happy for you! And just don't think about what may come next year. As you said: you never know! But I'm crossing my fingers that it will work out again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hooray!! I'm so happy for you, T.! So much to look forward to! xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhh, I could cry for happiness with you!! What a lovely, lovely surprise. :-)

    ReplyDelete