Wednesday, December 19, 2012

"Experience the splendor of the late nineteenth century at The 1890 House Museum."

I am holding off on my BITE post as I await the recipe for our entree (believe me - you will want it!).  In the meantime, I am going to share photos with you of the Wassail Party held at The 1890 House, here in Cortland.  I remember taking my son to the Wassail Party when he was a toddler - I pulled him there on his sled - no snow this year, I'm sorry to say - but the interior, with its ornate windows and grandeur, is beautiful.

"Experience the splendor of the late nineteenth century at The 1890 House Museum near downtown Cortland, New York.  This grand limestone mansion, built by successful industrialist Chester F. Wickwire, is a symbol of the grandeur of the Victorian and Gilded ages.  The lavish interiors of the 30-room mansion feature parquet floors, jewel-like stained-glass windows, ornate decorative stenciling, and oak and cherry woodwork.  Discover  artifact-filled period rooms, gilded-era interior and exterior architecture, rotating exhibits and display cases,  and carriages on view in the Carriage House. There is literally something for everyone at The 1890 House Museum and Center for the Arts.  The 1890 House Museum is the focal point of the Historic District of the City of Cortland and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places."  http://www.the1890house.org/





















4 comments:

  1. Oh, this is just beautiful! I love all the stained glass, and the charming old butler's pantry is lovely, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that's a Butler's Pantry! I enjoyed that festive tour of one of our very own gems. Your photography makes it easy to imagine stepping back in time. I wish it was affordable to incorporate those same kinds of details into today's new homes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a Wickwire. Wish I could claim inheritance! lol Its just stunning!!!

    ReplyDelete