Wednesday, December 14, 2011

"City sidewalks, busy sidewalks dressed in holiday style. In the air there's a feeling of Christmas."

Yes, we visited NYC this past weekend, decked in all of its holiday finest!  It was a terrific trip, with the exception of a couple of map-reading mishaps. To quote a passing British visitor - "You know, no place can get you into the Christmas spirit like New York City."  Now, I recognize that walking with hundreds of thousands of people ~ from every corner of the world ~ swarming the sidewalks at the same time ~ jostling for position at traffic lights ~ pointing~laughing~shouting - asking for directions (think - "us") ~ you get the picture - I know that's not for everyone.  But for a few hectic days - I love it!!!

Last year at about this time, I told Bruce that once I was retired, I really (really) wanted to go to NYC to see the live recording of A Prairie Home Companion, which takes place each Saturday from the one right after Thanksgiving right up the one before Christmas Eve.  The show is always at The Town Hall on West 43rd Street, right in the heart of the theater district. Since I am retired, and since Bruce is a sweetheart about wanting me to be able to do the things that I really (really) want to do - we went.  

It was everything that I hoped it would be - from the full-theater singing of "O Holy Night", to Guy Noir - Private Detective, to the News from Lake Woebegone.  The guests  on the show ranged from an incredible trio The DiGiallonardo Sisters (just heavenly voices and harmony), to poet George Bilgere (whose poetry my non-poetic husband admitted was really good), to Kristen Chenoweth (whose appearance made it all worth the price of admission for the man holding my hand).  And of course - there was Garrison Keillor in his trademark red tennis shoes!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garrison_Keillor
On my other side, I had the pleasure of sitting next to an older gentleman who has been to at least 15 of the last 20 or so NYC  holiday productions of A Prairie Home Companion.  You know that someone is really enjoying themselves when they want to be sure that you are also enjoying yourself - he leaned over several times throughout the show and whispered things like "Don't you just love it?", "Aren't you having a great time?", "Just watch - I love it when they do this part of the show."  He was a delight to have as an elbow neighbor and I told him that perhaps I would see him again at next year's show!

I took lots and lots of pictures and had to really work at narrowing them down.  Take the time to click onto You Tube below so that you can enjoy the pictures while listening to a holiday favorite!



The Shops at Bryant Park
The bald man under "Chocolate by the Bald Man" is MY bald man!
Dancing and singing bell ringers!

Some of those city sidewalks dressed in holiday style!  



Rockefeller Center! 






~ Window dressings ~
~ Chestnuts ~

And lastly - the famous Macy's windows! 








In a later post I will bring you some other, non-holiday specific city shots.  Hope that your holiday season is going as well as mine!

2 comments:

  1. It's like being there in person Tracy! Such beautiful and fun photographs. I love the Macy's windows - Tim Burton meets Hugo. Thanks for adding to my holiday merriment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh thank you for this post. I have never been to NYC and would love to one day. I feel like I got a little mini vacation. Also I will share the steampunk windows with the girls, they will love it xoxo Clarice

    ReplyDelete